Become an Autism Swim Approved Swimming Instructor.
We are Autism Specialists and accredited swimming instructors who understand the complexities of ASD and the support mechanisms necessary to educate individuals on water safety, equipping them with the necessary skills to be confident and safe in the water.
Unfortunately, drowning is among the leading causes of death in individuals with ASD. Over 90% of total death reports in children with ASD under 14 is a result of accidental drowning. Our aim is to lower these statistics, imparting knowledge on how individuals with ASD acquire skill-sets in a fun and supportive environment.
We are an international, multi-disciplinary organisation, combining the expertise of Autism Specialists, Behaviour Specialists, Occupational Therapists and swimming instructors. Our job is to assist swimming instructors and centres facilitate stronger outcomes for their swimmers with ASD/cognitive deficit.
How do we do this?
- We provide you with comprehensive online training (the training can also be held face-to-face at your chosen location).
- We provide you with an extensive set of monthly resources including, but not limited to: lesson plans, program templates, visuals, “what to do when” factsheets and skills focuses.
- We can supply signage and stickers, demonstrating that you are an Autism Swim Approved Instructor.
- We provide ongoing support and a consultancy service. For the duration of your Autism Swim Approved certification, you can request advice or further guidance on how best to teach and support your swimmers. Our team comprises Occupational Therapists, Exercise Physiologists, Autism Specialists and Behaviour Specialists, which means you can request advise on a range of areas within the disability sphere.
- We will feature your swim centre and its location on our website as a recommended provider following Autism Swim approval. Our services and approval are promoted extensively across the autism community via social media, newsletters and publicity campaigns.
- We provide you with access to a private Facebook group, where they can interact and learn from other Autism Swim Approved Instructors.
What do people say about Autism Swim?
Teresa, Swimming Instructor
“The training course I attended was fantastic. You made me understand Autism in a whole new way. Your stories and teaching were outstanding for both use in a swim environment as well as for general personal use. Keep up your knowledge and spreading your enthusiasm as you are a wealth of information. Thank you.”
Natalie, Swimming Instructor
Yasmin, mother of child with ASD, participating in nippers program
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s covered in the initial training session?
The initial training session covers Autism Diagnosis, common co-occurring conditions, behaviours of concern, communication, wandering, the relationship between swimming and ASD, sensory difficulties, drownings, child protection and Applied Behaviour Analysis. The monthly resources you receive are very targeted to specific swimming skill-sets, common challenges experienced and different methodologies to use with your swimmers.
Do we have to use Autism Swim’s program instead of our own?
You’re under no obligation to use all of the resources, ideas, programs etc. that we give you. They are there as a guide and given that they are designed by clinical specialists in ASD, it’s likely they will be of great help to you. If you would prefer however, you can just carry on with your current programs, and use our resources to support and enhance the work that you’re doing. This is up to you.
How does the referral system work?
We have a ‘locations’ tab on our website. Families can enter their postcode to find their closest Autism Swim Approved Instructor. Alternatively, they contact us via email and we provide them with the necessary details for the accredited instructor closest to them. We find that more often than not, the cost of signing up with Autism Swim as a centre is quickly covered by the number of new referrals coming to you.
What do you suggest in terms of class size?
We always recommend 1:1 lessons, as least to begin with. This allows you to target some key individualised goals for the participant. As their skills increase, you may then like to look into part of the lesson being undertaken with another student of similar skill-sets, however this will be dependent on the individual goals of the swimmer. Although we suggest 1:1, as long as your lessons do not exceed 1:3 in ratio, they can still be considered as part of the Autism Swim program.
The initial training session is AUD$400.
The membership with resources is AUD$40 monthly after that (minimum 12 month contract).
How can you find out more?
If you’re ready to begin your journey of becoming Autism Swim Approved, you can commence straight away by purchasing the online training here.
Once you purchase the online training, you’ll be emailed a product key, which will allow you to get started.
If you have absolutely any queries in relation to becoming Autism Swim Approved, please email us and we can then organise a time to chat on the phone, and to learn more about the services that you’re currently offering.