Do you resonate with any of these statements?
- Your child is prone to wandering, or you have concerns that they may wander in the future.
- Your child drowning is of concern to you.
- Your child has limited skills in terms of perceiving risks and danger.
- Your child is not making the gains in their swimming lessons which you were hoping.
- You have not had successes in the past in terms of swimming lessons, and you want to learn more about what’s needed.
- You are a proactive parent committed to doing absolutely everything you can to keep your little one safe.
- You want to connect with other parents to share stories and advice.
Additionally, you are familiar and concerned by the following statistics:
- Accidental drowning accounted for approximately 90% of total deaths reported in children with ASD ages 14 and younger, subsequent to wandering/elopement in 2009 to 2011.
- 50% of children with ASD attempt to escape from a safe environment – a rate nearly four times higher than children without ASD.
- Children with ASD are 160 times more likely to drown compared to other children.
- 58% of parents of children with ASD report wandering/elopement as the most stressful of ASD behaviours.
- Only 50% of parents of children with ASD have received advice about wandering prevention from a professional.
Whilst there is perhaps nothing more scary than thinking about the safety of your little one, help IS available.
You can now have clinical training, resources and support at your fingertips, covering a number of things relating to:
- Drowning Prevention
- Wandering Prevention
- Establishing and maintaining an effective Aquatics Program, including water safety, learn-to-swim and water therapy.
Autism Swim is the ONLY organisation in the world dedicated exclusively to wandering and drowning prevention for those who have Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or other abilities.
Equip yourself with our Wandering and Drowning Prevention Toolkit.
- Information on Wandering and Drowning
- Caregiver Checklist
- Individual Profile Template
- Wandering Action Plan
- Wandering and Drowning Prevention Tip-Sheet
- How to bring wandering under stimulus control with laminated stop and go signs
- Information on what to do to prevent over-stimulation
- Emotion Fish Scale
- Information about Tracking Technology/Safety Devices
- Options for Personalised Tags
- A Social Story about staying at home
Want to know more about the Wandering and Drowning Prevention Toolkit?
Engage one of our Clinicians.
Autism Swim has a Clinical team of Wandering and Drowning Prevention Specialists, ready to help you with the individual needs of your little one.
- Functional Analysis’
- Positive Behaviour Support Plans
- Advice on tracking devices and safety considerations
Please note that most clinical services can be provided from afar through teleconferencing (face-to-face is available depending on your location). Our Clinicians are charged out at standard NDIS therapy rates.
Would you like to engage one of our Clinicians?
What do other parents have to say?
“Billy drowning has always been my number one fear (so much so, it used to keep me up at night).
Swimming lessons have always been a constant failure for us, Billy always gravitates towards water without any regard for safety, and I could never find the support I was looking for.
Autism Swim asked if I’d be one of the first parents to trial their toolkit, and I absolutely jumped at the opportunity; it was exactly what I have been looking for. We have learnt so much and we now have so many really practical strategies and tools at our fingertips.
I now feel so reassured that we are finally on the right track, and that we, as parents, are doing everything we can to keep our boy safe, and educate him along the way. Safety is the one thing you can’t put a price on (particularly for those with additional needs)!
We’re really looking forward to continuing on our membership and learning so much more. Thank you, Autism Swim! What a saviour you are to families like ours!”.
(Marilyn, NSW Australia)