Online training for parents
Aquatic activities and hydrotherapy have been shown to increase social interaction, confidence, and independence in children with ASD.
(Kumar et al. 2014)
This means you can now have clinical training, resources and support at your fingertips, covering a number of things relating to:
- Drowning Prevention
- Wandering Prevention
- Establishing and maintaining an effective Aquatics Program, including water safety, learn-to-swim and water therapy.
- Your child is prone to wandering, or you have concerns that they may wander in the future.
- Your child drowning is of concern to you.
- Your child has limited skills in terms of perceiving risks and danger.
- Your child is not making the gains in their swimming lessons which you were hoping.
- You have not had successes in the past in terms of swimming lessons, and you want to learn more about what’s needed.
- You are a proactive parent committed to doing absolutely everything you can to keep your little one safe.
- You want to connect with other parents to share stories and advice.
Additionally, you are familiar and concerned by the following statistics:
- Accidental drowning accounted for approximately 90% of total deaths reported in children with ASD ages 14 and younger, subsequent to wandering/elopement in 2009 to 2011.
- 50% of children with ASD attempt to escape from a safe environment – a rate nearly four times higher than children without ASD.
- Children with ASD are 160 times more likely to drown compared to other children.
- 58% of parents of children with ASD report wandering/elopement as the most stressful of ASD behaviours (National Autism Association).
- Only 50% of parents of children with ASD have received advice about wandering prevention from a professional.
What’s in the Wandering and Drowning Prevention Toolkit?
- Information on Wandering and Drowning
- Caregiver Checklist
- Individual Profile Template
- Wandering Action Plan
- Wandering and Drowning Prevention Tip-Sheet
- How to bring wandering under stimulus control with laminated stop and go signs
- Information on what to do to prevent over-stimulation
- Emotion Fish Scale
- Information about Tracking Technology/Safety Devices
- Options for Personalised Tags
- A Social Story about staying at home
What’s included in the monthly membership?
1. Every month, we will send you a small bundle of clinical resources (electronically).
These include (but are not limited to):
- “What to do when” factsheets
- Activities you can be doing at home
- Social stories on skills
- Tips sheets
- Water Survival Guide
2. You’ll have access to a private forum where you engage in discussions and share stories and tips with other parents.
3. You will have access to our clinical team (Behaviour Specialists, Occupational Therapists and Swimming Instructors) for consultancy and program design, at 50% off their usual therapeutic rates (standard NDIS rates for therapy).
Is this just for children with ASD?
Although this has been designed with the ASD learner in mind, the same information applies to individuals with a range of different cognitive deficits.
The information is applicable to adults as well as children.
How much does it cost?
There are three subscription options for you to choose between:
What do other parents have to say?
Swimming lessons have always been a constant failure for us, Billy always gravitates towards water without any regard for safety, and I could never find the support I was looking for.
Autism Swim asked if I’d be one of the first parents to trial their parent training, toolkit and membership, and I absolutely jumped at the opportunity; it was exactly what I have been looking for. We have learnt so much and we now have so many really practical strategies and tools at our fingertips.
I now feel so reassured that we are finally on the right track, and that we, as parents, are doing everything we can to keep our boy safe, and educate him along the way. Safety is the one thing you can’t put a price on (particularly for those with additional needs)!
We’re really looking forward to continuing on our membership and learning so much more. Thank you, Autism Swim! What a saviour you are to families like ours!”.
What’s the next step?
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com
If you’re ready to equip yourself and want to get started straight away, jump on over to our shopping cart and select themembership option which suits you best.