Autism Swim (AS) are national Water Safety and Swimming Specialists in Autism Spectrum Disorder … More About Us
What do we do? We work with swimming instructors and organisations, providing … Find Out More
From trainings to programs, check out all the upcoming events in our calendar and with details on … View events
All items sent via post will be sent on the next Friday after order is placed, and will be sent via … Shop Today!
A little bit about us
Autism Swim (AS) are national Water Safety and Swimming Specialists for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
Drowning is among the leading causes of death in individuals with ASD. Over 90% of total death reports in children with ASD under 14 was a result of accidental drowning.1
AS is run by Autism Specialists and Swimming Teachers who understand the complexities of ASD and what support mechanisms are necessary to educate individuals on water safety, and equip them with the necessary skills to be confident in the water. Our aim is to lower the statistics of drowning deaths in the ASD population group, imparting knowledge on how individuals with ASD process and acquire skill-sets, in a fun and supportive environment.
Autism Swim is the first swim company in Australia run by Autism Specialists, dedicated solely to individuals with Autism. Autism Swim is the peak body in Australia for swimming and water safety for individuals with ASD.
Why is swimming so beneficial for swimmers with ASD?
- Swimming can fulfil sensory needs in a low stimulation environment
- The repetitive nature of swimming can have therapeutic benefits
- Gross Motor output is an essential self-regulation tool for individuals with ASD
- Swimming lessons aim to equip individuals with confidence and skills imperative to ensure safety in the water
- Swimming can result in increased coordination, mobility and balance
- Swimming can achieve cognitive benefits (including increased communication skills) through skill development
- Swimming results in increased fitness, joint stability and muscle strength and tone
- Swimming can assist in training body sensation, body awareness, joint position, spatial awareness and posture control
- Swimming allows for a social outlet
- It's fun!
1 Reference - McIlwain, L. National Autism Association – Lethal Outcomes In ASD Wandering. January 2012.